Sunday, March 9, 2014

Hit List

We set out today to make a "hit list" of the items that we find every time we go to the beach. In the first 100 yards we were able to check off the first five: tiparillo tip, straw, shotgun shell wad, bottle and wrapper. It was not long before we had completed our task, then we spent the afternoon on the lookout for what would classify as our most unusual find of the day.




Over the years there have been some truly astounding finds:
from the ballot box lid from the 2001 election to the 2 monopoly houses 

But today the bright red rose was an eye-catcher. It's a member of the taxon Simulacracea and the peer reviewed paper requires a knowledge of Pig Latin. It appeared in the Ethnobotany Research & Applications, Vol 5 (2007)


Our thanks to Robert Burns for his poem A Red, Red Rose


O my Luve is like a red, red rose
   That’s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
   That’s sweetly played in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
   So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
     Till a’ the seas gang dry.